Today was, yet, another lazy day around the lodge. We had a couple of breathtaking moments when it barely started to snow, but it was the kind that melted as soon as it hit the ground. Not too much fun to be had there. Our big adventure for the day was to drive into town and mail our Mother’s Day packages for all of the grandmas. We met a few “characters” in Seeley Lake’s teeny tiny post office. There was the kind, matronly postal worker who fawned over Charlie and gave the girls stickers. She asked them their names, which Madeline gladly volunteered while Fi stood by, thumb in mouth, pretending to be shy. Of course, the woman mispronounced Madeline’s name when she said it back to her (Madeline has a long ‘i’, people! Why can’t you understand that!) Anyway, boredom set in rather quickly as I was addressing the packages, and little hands delved quickly into the stacks of Delivery Confirmation slips and other such postal paperwork. I, being on my best behavior in public, kindly warned them off with a, “No, no, please don’t touch girls.” This attempt at disciplining the children was swiftly brought to its knees by the interjection of a grizzled native Montana man who barked, “You go ahead and play with those. Do whatever you want. Don’t let her tell you what to do!” Of course, Madeline happily told him their names when he asked. Haven’t these people ever heard of STRANGER DANGER? I guess not. Next stop: pharmacy. I bought the only bathroom scale for sale within 100 miles. I hope no one needed it more than I did. Every day is a new adventure here!
I do have some fresh observations to share (and by "fresh," I do mean both new and smart aleck):
1. Deer are vermin. They are riff raff that mess up people's lawns and deliberately try to get hit by cars.
2. Montana has a greater variety of license plates than I have ever seen from one state: plain, mountains, bears, flowers, cowboys, and myriad others that I cannot presently recall.
3. I don't know Montana's state motto, but it should be: Drive fast, live slow.

Another unique and lovely Play-Doh creation by Madeline.


If you look very closely, you can see deer and snow.
1 comment:
I love the multi-hued Play-Doh dentures. Fabulous!
Post a Comment