I don't know about you, but I had a serious case of the slow starts this Christmas season. I'm usually ready to bolt out the door and get a tree three seconds after the last bite of Thanksgiving dinner, but for some reason it took me a while to warm up this year. I am pleased to announce that we are in full tilt Christmas mode as of last Saturday! Please enjoy this sampling of Noel a la Martinez.
Oh, Tannenbaum
Fi saved us a ton of money on a tree this year. Go Fifi! We opted for a shorter tree set up on a table so as to prevent her from trying to climb the tree or tearing down the ornaments on the bottom third. She did manage to grab one or two from the very bottom branches, but it looks like the rest of the tree is safe. She was hell bent on putting Maddie's shoe up there for some reason. Maddie did her best to hang as many ornaments as she could using her "Mommy's Little Helper" stool, and Daddy did the angel for us.
Cookie Time!
Maddie helped me decorate the sugar cookies I made for the MOPS Christmas Party cookie exchange. This means that some cookies had 10 lbs. of sprinkles (or "sparkles" as she calls them) and some had 4 sprinkles. She had fun though, so what the heck.


The Gingerbread Man House
That's what Maddie calls the gingerbread house I bought and promised her for four days in a row we would put together. When I did finally drag out the kit and read the directions, I learned that it takes 4 hours (no exaggeration) for the frosting to cure after you assemble the house and BEFORE you can begin to decorate it. She was very patient though, and we finally did it before bed last night. She was so cute the way she kept getting frosting on her fingers and saying, " I did it on purpose; I'll just lick it off." She clearly does not understand what "on purpose" means. I must say that the finished product far exceeded my expectations of what a three year old and I could do. You can totally tell which side of the roof I did and which side she did. She even tried out the piping bag and made a few windows!





The Carnage
This is what my poor husband has had to live with while I'm doing my holiday baking. He did think that the 12 lbs. of Costco butter in the fridge was "cool" however. Celia, one of our MOPS mentor moms, taught us how to make Almond Toffee (we musn't call it "Roca"; I don't want the Brown & Haley people after me). It's spectacular, but messy.
1 comment:
I love Maddie's hair. It's got the early-nineties one-side-long look. I remember trying so hard to do the long braid on one side, but it did NOT look good.
Post a Comment