Never ones to be boring, the Martinez family took Thanksgiving on the road this year. We met up with Pat's cousin and his family and the Hemet Jeep club out in Stoddard Valley (think desert). The mission: off-roading fun and adventure! We arrived around midday Thursday, and Ana and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner. Can you believe that woman actually peeled, boiled, and mashed potatoes for our feast? What a trooper! I bbq'd some turkey breasts (I used a citrus pesto marinade that was to die for - e-mail me if you want the recipe). We also had homemade cranberry sauce; baked sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar; fresh green beans; corn on the cob; and rolls from Costco. Sorry, I know the Costco rolls are a disappointment after the big build up, but I don't do recipes requiring yeast in the motorhome. It's just a rule of mine. It was a really special Thanksgiving. We had so much fun, and the girls love each other so much. We want to do it every year now.
The cousins Martinez: Paulina, Daniela, Talia, and Madeline.
This was Fi's first Thanksgiving, well the first one where she got to eat. Last year she was only a few days old. I think that it traumatized her to see us eating Thanksgiving dinner and not be able to participate, because eating is now her #1 hobby. Actually, hobby is not the right word; it's more of a passion really. Above you can see her savoring every moment of it.


Paulina and Ana, so pretty. And, there's nothing like a little post-dinner wrestling match to aid digestion.

Daddy and Fifi by the campfire.
No, we did not stop by an insane asylum and pick up some inmates. These are our children.

One of my goals for this trip was to wean Fi. Maddie's helping me out with a little peer pressure here. Fi does not like the taste of cow's millk, so I have to mix it with apple juice until it's sweet enough for her liking. It's so disgusting, but it seems to be working. I cut back on the juice a little each time. My hope is that within a couple of weeks she'll be on straight milk, and she'll stop trying to stick her hand down my shirt all the time.


This is our Rhino, think golf cart on steroids. We strap Maddie's carseat in and away we go. She loves it. On Friday just her and Daddy went, so she got to sit in front. On Saturday we all went, so she was relegated to the backseat with Paulina. She is always saying stuff like, "Let's get going Dad," and "Faster!" I will reserve the story about sliding uncontrolled down a gulley until another time. We don't want to frighten the grandmothers.
All played out.
On the road to home. This is a shot of Jose's motorhome from the front windshield of ours. We hated for this trip to end!
No comments:
Post a Comment