Saturday, June 28, 2008

Isn't She Lovely

Maddie had her first ballet recital last weekend. Pat and I were crying like fools. She was just so beautiful. She performed in a fancy grown-up theater, the Scherr Forum at Countrywide Performing Arts Center in Thousand Oaks; she wore a glitzy (and expensive!) little costume that made her look like an absolute doll; and she got to use the backstage entrance to the theater. What a lady! There were highlights and lowlights. Read on:

Highlights:
  • Madeline was a total pro. Her class entered a completely darkened stage, and when the lights came up, they were faced with a packed theater. She showed no fear. She and the five other little girls acted like they do this everyday.
  • She really did look gorgeous. I was so glad that she refused to wear make-up. I asked her a few times, and she kept saying no. Her true beauty shined through.
  • About half way through the routine, she stopped watching the teacher, who was cuing the girls from the wings, and decided to just freestyle. Up to that point, I was solidly impressed that she was in sync with the choreography. After she went rogue and determined that it was time to tendu forward for about 32 counts, I just had to laugh.
  • About two-thirds of the way through the number, my husband turned to me and proclaimed,"This is one of my favorite songs." The song was Isn't She Lovely, by Stevie Wonder. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with the song. I dig Stevie. But, if you had told me just a moment before that this song was one of the favorite songs of my husband, a man I have known for 16 years, I would have fought you to the death just to prove how wrong you were. Now, it's just a fact I have to live with.
  • After the show, I retrieved Maddie and brought her out to the lobby where Daddo, Aunt Dondie, Uncle Chris, Gigi, and Aunt Bebess were waiting. She broke into a sprint, yelled "Daddy!," and leaped into Patrick's waiting arms. It was too precious.
  • When my mom asked Maddie how she became such a good dancer, she replied, "I take dance lessons."

The Lowlights:

  • 96 minutes
  • As the dancers got older, they did not get better.
  • 4th to last number: 40 something man in a muscle shirt, wife/girlfriend joins him on stage, Lady Humps, grinding, horrible dancers, bewildered audience
  • 96 minutes


3 comments:

Veronica said...

She is so beautiful Steph... I bet this was a night to remember!

Sarah said...

How could you neglect to get apic of the Lady Humps routine??? I'm so disappointed.
But Maddie is just adorable. So, I guess I'll let it slide.

Jenny said...

I only wish that Cate refused the makeup. Her natural beauty does shine through. What a beautiful girl. I bawled like a baby during ours too. Even for the other girls. Pathetic. =)