A few nights ago, we had the theater event of the year held in our humble home. Madeline created, produced, directed, and performed in her very own play. The preparations were extensive as she busied herself making costumes and posters for her door, as well as set design and construction. Daddo was enlisted to help her hang some decorative blankets from her windows with clothespins, and then he thought he was off the hook for any other play related duties. Wrong. Amidst her extremely busy 45 minutes of getting things ready for the play, she pranced into the living room and plunked a paper crown, blanket, and bungee cord down onto the table. She then instructed Patrick that this was his costume and he needed to put it on for the play. I was told that, since I was sick, I could just sit in the auditorium and watch. I helped Patrick don his getup (we were told that the bungee cord was a belt and the blanket was his cape), and then we were summoned into Maddie's bedroom for the start of the play.
Act 1 - The Art of Dance: Patrick sits in a chair and pretends to eat food whilst Madeline,wearing a paper hat that she constructed and decorated herself, ballet dances about her room to the tunes of her jewelry box. Fiona also has to wear a hat.
Act 2 - Musical Harmony: Harmonica (or harmometer) duet featuring both Madeline and Fiona
Act 3 - Musical Dream: Madeline's harmometer solo. Pat is to sit in the chair, in costume, and watch her with admiration.
I think it was a hit. I'd go see it again. Based on the posters alone, I knew it would be a spellbinding show. I also really like that hot actor who played the eating king!
1 comment:
Thank you for this. It makes me happy. And Pat, it takes a real man to wear a blanket cape. Perhaps you are reminiscent of Kramer in the dreamcoat...
Post a Comment