Friday, March 28, 2008

First Haircut?

I know that I have been remiss in updating the blog, and I have so many more urgent and current items to post, but I must ease Jenny's pain. It seems our daughters have already embarked on the long and winding road of driving their mothers to the looney bin. Like Jenny's daughter, Cate, Madeline too decided to "take a little off the top" several months ago. She had been "crafting" at the kitchen table one afternoon, and as I was cleaning up, I found this on the floor:She had shorn her locks so close to her scalp that I could scarcely tell where the hair had come from. It was not until a few months later when I noticed an outcropping of curls awkwardly jutting out where bangs would normally grow that I was able to discern that she had chopped the hair from the very front of her head. Now we are left with the unfortunate aftermath:

Taken today, 3/28/08

She proudly announces, at least once a day, that her "lungs" are growing back. At least they are long enough now to do a little side sweep and clip them with a barrette. For a while there she just looked like a goofball.

Sorry Jenny! I hope Cate's grows back soon!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Steph, at least hers just looks like bangs. Why must we be put through such nonsense. Our girls definitely know better. When I asked her simply "Why? Oh Why?" She told me it was getting in her way while she was trying to color. How 'bout a hairclip, you have about a million? Or how about coming to me to tighten your blasted ponytail? It was funny though. When I realized it, I because part Brit and part Aussie. I of course don't want to use words that will come back to bite me. So I start screaming, "Bloody Hell! What in the devil were you thinking?" "Crikey!" also was uttered more than a few times. I'm sure someday I'll laugh. Scratch that. I'll still be pissed, but someday, it will grow back. It is only hair after all. The "bloody" trouble is that it has taken almost 5 years for her to get any hair at all. It is so thin, that although from my head it wouldn't have been a great amount, from hers, it is truly devastating! Today, as I was combing her hair (really hard) she asked if I was trying to hurt her? (which I was - Bad Mom!) Then I felt bad, and decided that she will just have to have tiny pigtails in the front. Or wear a headband.
She is also grounded (for the first time) from playing with friends until Monday. She missed playgroup after school (which was more a punishment for me) and we had to cancel our plans for tonight, but she told me after school that she has learned her lesson now. She'll only cut paper. Oh brother! We are both in for it!

Stephanie said...

But don't you think it's funny that our first instinct was to collect the hair, find a background, and photograph it? OK, maybe not our first instinct; my first may have included yelling and waving the scissors in her face. Yet, at some point we made the decision to preserve these moments. Yikes!

Jenny said...

I think the same thing as I check in on people's blogs. One of my girlfriend's daughters (who is potty training) took a dump in their living room. What does she do? Photograph it of course. With her standing there next to it. I was totally sick. So, really, at what point are our kids going to say to us, "Enough is enough! I'm tired of living in a fish bowl!" I'm going to have to be careful of the things I try to "document" because I don't want her to think because I'm taking pictures, it's okay. I had to fish the hair out of her trash can. She didn't know I took the picture. The picture of her with her hood on is all I could get because she was so embarrassed. I'll have to really spike it up so everyone can see the damage. BTW Maddie's "bangs" look really cute!