I think Pomona gets a bad rap. Sure, the filthy sludge they call air, horrible traffic, and pockets of gang infestation can be reasons to stay away. But, if the Fair and NHRA can't bring the glory back to Pomona, nothing can.
In an unfallen world, where I didn't have to worry about the destruction of my body or wallet, this would have been my eating schedule at the fair:
Breakfast, 9am - Deep fried powdered donut and chocolate covered banana (fruit group)
Morning snack 9:15am - Chocolate milk (free!) and funnel cake
Mid-morning 10am - Ceviche
Pre-lunch appetizer 11am - Cookies and cream chocolate covered candied apple
Palate cleanser 11:30am - frozen strawberry lemonade
Lunch 12pm - smoked turkey leg, corn on the cob, blue slushee
Lunch dessert 12:15pm - cupcake
Afternoon snack 1:00pm - kettle corn
Mid-afternoon pick-me-up 2pm - deep fried avocado and chocolate dipped cheesecake on a stick
Post defibrilation nutrition break 3pm - corn dog and giant slice of pizza
I know, that seems like a lot of food. But don't worry. I would have been drinking water the whole time.
Now on to what we really did do at the Fair. We spent a great deal of time at the farm. It short circuited Chachi's brain a little bit to be so close to so many animals.


My pretty girl, feeding the goats. They kind of attacked her and took the cup of feed by force once we entered the pen.


We heard a lot of ,"Dahdoh! Cahw! Chickahn!" from Chachi.


Please forgive the crazy sunscreen hair.


Um, do you think he wanted to get close to the animals?

Nuestros Tres Cerdos

Me & Fi waiting for the milking demo to start

Oh, Bessie! I do know how you feel, sister!

They had some weird lookin' chickens running around. We learned that chickens have earlobes.

Yes, we are afraid that she might one day kill us in our sleep.

Teaching the girls how to latch hook at California Heritage Square

Some dude making brooms

Charlie is rather taken in by some fascinating display


Look at the concentration - remarkably unlike what generally happens at home. Maybe we need to turn our shed into a little red school house.

I abide by most of these. Some days I skate by with just the one petticoat.

"Hey, bear. What's up? I'm Chachi."

Madeline training for a new technique we will be using to capture and subdue the younger children.

Look at those weaving fingers fly!


The favorite spot for both girls was the Princess Playhouse. I'm so glad that they're little and failed to notice that the resident princesses were somewhat unsavory, middle aged ladies.

"This princess gig is kind of a scam."

"Are you sure you're a princess, lady?"


Astride their noble steed


From one horse to another - the girls on the Venetian Carousel

Poor little brother, too young to ride, was relegated to watch from the sidelines in wonderment.

Madeline is always in charge of the map.

The horse theme continues as we meet up with Grandpa Les and Grandma Sue and head to the races! Madeline chose Boomtown and Fiona chose Pickle (a food, no surprise there).

A picture for Chachi - Here is how it would have sounded had he been doing the announcing: "HOISTHE!TAHCTO!HOISTHES!DADDO!HOISTHES!TAHCTO!PYAYNE!HOISTHES!HOISTHES!DADDO!"

And I had almost gotten rid of my summer freckles! Dang day in the sun!

"Doo-doo-doo-doo-dootle-doo-doo-dootle-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo!"


And, away they go! We lost. Dumb hoisthes.

Between the farm animals, horses, tractors, planes, and acrobatic dog shows, I think Chachi must think the fair is some sort of magical place where all things boy are exalted. And just when he thought he had seen every good thing...
TRAINS!


We just read Choo Choo, by Virginia Lee Burton, so it Madeline and I had a lot of fun finding the old train that was most like the one in the book.

Madeline is smaller than one wheel on this old steam engine. The whole engine car weighed over 1 million pounds!

Fiona has finally gained custody of the frozen lemonade.


And we're back at the farm for the "Farm to Shop" experience!

"I love corn."


The works revealed.

Harvest time!


The girls sell their hard earned crops at market. Then, it's off to the store to see where all this raw product ends up after being over-processed and filled with HFCS.

No one has ever been as ready to shop as Fiona is right now.


Hmm, I must speak with the girls about the potential dangers of buying ice cream off the shelf.



To the left, Fiona's cart: Milk, ice cream, chocolate pudding, peanut butter, and a fish (hmmm)
To the right, Madeline's cart: milk, ice cream, chocolate pudding, bread and a pear
I see a theme emerging.


Checkin' out.

Fiona looks utterly overwhelmed by it all.

Hitchin' a wagon to Grandpa Les' and Grandma Sue's for dinner after a fun-filled day!
Good bye Fair! See you next year!
1 comment:
how adorable!! love all the pictures of the fair. and your unfallen world diet for the fair sounds heavenly :)
Post a Comment