Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Harnival Carmel

Behold our mischievous little monkey and dainty "recital girl" as we prepare to set of for the Harvest Carnival (or Harnival Carmel if you're Madeline and your super tired the night before, but so excited that you have to talk about it as you're falling asleep in bed). Madeline informed me a couple of weeks ago that she wanted to wear her ballet recital dress and be a "recital girl." This brought joy to my heart beyond compare, since that silly dress cost 80 bucks! She can wear it every day until it falls apart as far as I'm concerned. Fifi wore Maddie's monkey costume from two years ago. Everybody kept calling her "dude" and "buddy." I guess you could say she looked a little boyish. When I called her a little monkey she said, "No montee mama, Fifi." At least she knows who she is.




The Trunk or Treat part of the night was a highlight. A bunch of people line up their cars in the church parking lot and decorate them with different themes. The kids travel from car to car for the Trick or Treat ritual. Fiona scarcely knew what to do with herself. The way it is set up is basically giant buckets of candy lying around everywhere. She just wandered from candy vat to candy vat, filling her bag. Madeline was well aware of the customs of the holiday, and said "Trick or Treat!" as she approached each car and "thank you" as she collected her candy.



"Candy!"


Bounce, Monkey! Bounce!

The Usual Suspects


Fiona, Madeline, Katie, and Kylie at the end of the night. I love Kylie's total determination to get whatever she's fishing for out of her bucket.


Inside the auditorium are games galore. The cool thing is that you get candy whether yo win or not. I do admit that I tried to make sure that they got some of my favorites and didn't just grab random candy out of the bins. Fiona could have played the basket and ball game all night. At her skill level, it was basically moving the balls from one basket to the other. Madeline is pretty skilled. Check out that football arm!


Our pathetic attempt at a family picture. Note to self: Take family photo at the beginning of the night next year and wearing all pink makes you look like a giant puff of pregnant cotton candy.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

oh, the harvest carnival! Last night as I sat at home waiting for knocks at the door, I thought about the happenings at EV Free! We went to one very similar, but it was last sunday & it just wasn't the same! Although they did have an awesome horse pulled wagon ride, they didn't have trunk-or-treating, just tons of games to play & get candy. Anyway, glad you all had fun... & you do not look lke a pregnant puff of cotton candy!

Julie said...

Looks like a fun night! The girls are adorable. Jayden wore that same monkey costume two years ago, and it still is one of my favorites. And no way do you look like a giant puff and cotton candy-- you look adorable and not at all pregnant. How do you pull that off?

Jenny said...

I agree. The family picture is darling. I love that Monkey costume. I also love that Maddie wanted to wear her recital outfit. I tried for a while to persuade Cate into wearing hers. Very fun!