Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sweet, Sweet Narcolepsy



About twice a week, Madeline fakes taking a nap. She goes into her room and closes the door and then plays for 20 minutes, 40 minutes, or even an hour before she comes out and proclaims, "Mommy, I took a weewy wong nap for you!" Imagine her smiling sweetly, squinting her eyes, and slightly cocking her head to one side as she says this. She then usually asks for a snack and if she can watch an episode of Dora. I am not fooled by this display; I know that there was no nap taken. I can hear her the whole time dashing from her bed to snatch a toy and then quickly jumping back in so that she won't be caught. Her voice grows louder and more high pitched as she and her "guys" act out dramas in which many a Diego, puppy, penguin, Cookie Monster, or sister falls down a hole, is saved with a rope, goes to school, and gets put on "time out." The problem with the faux nap, is that if we go anywhere in the car after 4 pm, even just for 5 minutes, she falls asleep. Well, on this day of no napping I had to go to the post office. She, of course, crashed out in the car. When we got home, I took her out of the car and stood her on her feet after telling her it was time to wake up. I went around to the other side of the car to get Fi, and when I came back, I found what you see above. These are not staged.

No comments: