Thursday, May 26, 2016

Day 2 - The Day In Which We Did Not Die

We left the warm and food-filled comforts of Grandma's house today. I kind of forgot to leave one cubic meter of space to pack all of the customary food stuffs she loads us up with, so the strawberry pie and a head of lettuce had to stay behind. We did, however, still have room for the brownies, peanut butter cookies, potato chips, a tub of Mississippi Mud Slide ice cream, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and 2 boxes of Lucky Charms (thank goodness for space in the microwave!). I love my little grandma.  I'm so thankful we got to spend a little time with her. I know she'll be praying for us, and that makes me happy. 
 
And, we totally needed that prayer, because I resumed my behind the wheel duties after a 6 year hiatus. We took a road trip to Montana when Chachi was a wee babe. I'm pretty sure I remember driving the RV, towing a Land Rover, for thousands of miles without incident. It seemed much harder this time. I took the wheel about 2 hours into our 7 hour drive. There was a lot of sweating and deep breathing happening. Then, after less than an hour, I had a panic attack and had to pull over so that Pat could take over. After a bit, he graciously (foolishly? maliciously?) suggested that I give it another shot. Ok. So, we immediately headed into this freakish canyon/construction zone, where I found myself in a narrow, single lane with no shoulder, ON A BRIDGE, and JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL! I'm pretty sure He did, because I more than likely blacked out from sheer terror. I'm sure the people behind me totally enjoyed my 35 mph crawl to the other side. Once, we emerged from the construction zone/death trap, I regained my composure and continued on. UNTIL...
 
A man wearing a beige shirt, whom at first I believed to be a deer, stood frantically shouting and gesturing in the center divider, warning oncoming traffic of danger ahead. It was a truck that had skidded off the highway and somehow flipped its trailer upside down into the median. Ok, so we made it past that only to have a drop of rain hit the windshield, at which point I decided to tap out, yet again. My patient and gracious husband ushered us safely the rest of the way to Williams. We settled in and I watched a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones to calm my nerves. Stanis is my favorite character now, because he knows the difference between less and fewer. I'm pretty sure he'll die soon. Because valar morghulis
 
 
Only 62 days to go!
 
 

He would NOT open his eyes. This is just 1 of 17 pictures. This is the widest they got.

 
Hello, Arizona!

 
Our genius Daddo magnetized the Monopoly board, so the kids can play while we're on the road. 

No comments: